Spikeball because why not

Spikeball is the activity of choice for my friend group at lunch. In fact, the first thing I do, since I get there before mostly everyone with Parker, is get the net. The game is structured as a 2v2 competition to see who can win with more than 11 points and by at least 2 points. The teams can "set" the ball with one hand to their teammate, and a total of two sets can be executed before the ball must be spiked onto the net, and after that it's the teams ball until they hit it onto the net again. The game is enticing because of the technical skill, especially hand-eye coordination and good team synergy, needed to be good at the game.

Related image
When my friends and I were introduced to the game by my friend's older brother's friends, I was by a long-shot the worst out of us, and didn't really play for a while because of it. Now, I'm known for hitting mostly BS shots, and occasionally play really well, but in all honesty I'm the most hit-or-miss when it comes to our friend group's skill levels. What pushed me to become better at this game was my desire to be a part of the group that was good at the game. While it was also partly the fact that game is simply really fun, it was mostly because I wanted to be able to play at a higher and higher level going on because I knew, back when we began in freshman year, if I didn't practice then, everyone would get so far ahead of me that I wouldn't be able to compete ever in the future. In other words, I was driven by the need for affiliation to become better at the game.

In all honesty, had I not been introduced to the game by my friends last year, I would have probably never heard of the game. The game has organized tournaments, but it's not huge and is more of a game, but it's great fun to enjoy it as a competitive sport between us. It's not just the fun of the game but the memories and relationships my friends and I have built from the game that also keep us going, and I'll carry those experiences with me the rest of my life. That is the appeal of any sport organized by a close group of friends.

Comments

  1. I think this is an interesting topic to write about, since it doesn't directly relate to the media, but it definitely makes connections to it. For example, I think this can portray a more negative attitude to using media compared to playing activities, sports, etc. because it allows for real life interactions and face to face experiences with our friends. I think what we do at lunch is so much better than all of us just sitting on our phones playing video games or going on social media. Staring at the screen of a phone while eating lunch doesn't build any relationships, memories, or most importantly, teamwork. Playing Spikeball also builds skills like strategy, hand eye coordination, and perseverance--skills that media may be much less effective at. I definitely love playing Spikeball at lunch everyday and I hope that media doesn't take away these enjoyable experiences.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I hope this relates to the video.

Why is Minecraft Back on the Rise?